You’ve probably figured out by now that I have quite a sweet tooth – almost nothing is “too sweet” by my standards. This recipe is adapted from my best friend’s version and I don’t really know what to call it – toffee or butterscotch Chex Mix, maybe? It does contain some salt from the pretzels in the mixture, just enough to give it that satisfying sweet/salty balance.
My grandmother is a big fan of this mix – she actually asked me to make a batch last weekend, and who can turn down their 95 year old Nana?
Typically I try to post “lightened up” recipes on Thursdays – this is anything but light – filled with butter and sugar (although I did make a few substitutions). But it makes a huge batch and is a great party or football snack.
I’m sure Nana was glad I didn’t mess with this recipe. At least I know where I got my sweet tooth from. And if you eat too much, you’ll get a stomach ache. Trust me.
BFF’s Sweet Toffee / Caramel Chex Mix
5 cups Rice Chex
5 cups Corn Chex
1 cup mini pretzels
2 cups pecan halves
1 stick + 2 Tbsp I used Olivio Light (or butter)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or honey)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Pre-heat oven to 225.
2) Coat a large roasting pan or disposable tin with cooking spray.
3) Combine all dry ingredients and place in roasting pan.
4) Bring butter, sugar, and syrup to a boil for 5 minutes.
5) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
6) Pour mixture over dry ingredients and bake for 20 minutes, stir, and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Repeat for a total of 1 hour.
7) Spread into single layer on waxed paper until cool, then break apart in to pieces.
Instead of sharing the nutrition info for this one, let’s just call it a holiday indulgence.
I added in a handful of leftover butterscotch chips as the mix was cooling. There are unlimited substitutions you could make with this – I think Cheerios and other nuts would be delicious. The pecans are my favorite part!
What’s your favorite Chex mix recipe?
I really dislike the traditional savory one – I’m not a fan of pepper!